ACCELERATE YOUR STUDENTS' USE OF THE TARGET LANGUAGE:
Interactive, High-Engagement Activities that Work
Designed for World Language Educators at the Middle School and High School Levels
- Learn practical activities to engage students in the target language as they exchange information, negotiate meaning and express their ideas
- Examine proven structures to establish and sustain a motivating classroom environment that accelerates all your students’ use of the target language through collaboration, rituals and routines, expectations, and celebrations
- Explore efficient ways to give feedback and use effective assessment tools and processes
- Receive an extensive world language instruction resource handbook filled with activities for comprehensible input, checking for understanding, negotiating meaning, self-expression, feedback, and assessment
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Research indicates that effective language instruction must provide significant levels of meaningful communication and interactive feedback in the target language in order for students to develop language and cultural proficiency ... ACTFL therefore recommends that language educators and their students use the target language as exclusively as possible (90% plus) at all levels of instruction during instructional time and, when feasible, beyond the classroom.
– ACTFL Position Statement, May 2010
Do you need practical ideas of how to meet the ACTFL recommendation of using the target language 90% of the time in your classroom? Do you have students who do not stay in the target language? Do you have students who are not always motivated? Do you have students who need interactive activities? This engaging seminar will answer these questions with ready-to-use, low-prep activities that will help you develop a classroom atmosphere where students enjoy using their new language skills to communicate meaningful messages.
You will learn to build on the characteristics of today’s millennial students to enhance their language learning. In this outstanding seminar, experienced world language teacher Jan Herrera will share dozens of highly engaging and interactive activities designed to accelerate your students’ use of the target language both inside and outside the classroom. Jan will share a wealth of practical, easy-to-prepare activities as well as proven technology applications for language learning with variations for all levels.
You will leave this seminar with an extensive world language instruction resource handbook and dozens of strategies you will be able to use immediately to accelerate your students’ use of the target language.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Use the Target Language From Day One
Engage your students in use of the target language from the first day of class … Here’s how
- Create a Classroom Where Students Love Using the Target Language
Learn proven techniques to maximize students’ use of the target language through clear expectations, established processes and structures to sustain a safe, supportive, self-expressive, and resource-rich environment
- Build a Learning Community Where Students Work Together
Students enjoy personalized activities where they collaborate to create and problem solve together
- Learn from an Outstanding World Language Teacher
Jan brings more than 30 years of world language teaching experience as well as a deep passion for sharing what works with other world language teachers … Learn proven techniques that are designed to match the needs of today’s students and build their motivation for communicating in the target language
- Engage Students in Activities that Build Classroom Rapport
Discover innovative interactive activities that motivate students to share their background knowledge, experiences and ideas
- Connect Students’ Interests to the Class Topics and to Each Other
Student motivation and target language use increases as they personally relate to the topics of study and as they share these connections with each other
- Utilize Proven Technology Applications to Support Students’ Opportunities to Practice, Research, Express, and Connect with the Target Culture
Tap into students’ technology resources and expertise to use the target language in a variety of innovative ways
- Enhance Your Skills in Questioning, Responding and Giving Feedback on Use of the Target Language
Learn practical techniques that will increase your students’ engagement in extended conversations
- Implement High-Engagement Activities to Support Learning of Vocabulary, Grammar Structures, Cultural Knowledge, and Understanding
These dynamic communicative activities are designed to maximize practice, application and analysis of language skills and content
- Receive an Extensive World Language Instruction Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook with ready-to-use materials specifically designed for this seminar … Receive a wealth of practical ideas, information and activities that promote use of the target language and can be implemented right away
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of low-prep, low-cost, high-engagement, high-impact, ready-to-go activities that encourage the sustained use of the target language
- What every world language teacher needs to know about today’s millennial student and what it means for increasing their engagement and use of the target language inside and outside your classroom
- High-interest activities that build classroom community and increase use of the target language in meaningful ways
- An organizational system for your classroom that encourages students to be independent, resourceful and interactive
- Engaging target language activities you can use from the first day of class
- What the most current research on language learning indicates about which target language activities are most beneficial for developing language proficiency … Be prepared for some surprises
- Highly practical tips to engage even your most reluctant students
- Warm-up techniques that engage your learners through personalization and use of the target language
- Proven grouping strategies for partners and teams
- Innovative, interactive learning strategies for small group work
- Ways for students to set learning goals and objectives and monitor their progress and effort in use of the target language
- How you can utilize explicit directions, modeling, scaffolding, and rubrics to ensure student success in target language activities
- Questioning techniques to encourage and incorporate student contributions in unfolding conversations in the target language
- Ways to engage students as they relate to issues, personal experiences and social relationships that are real and significant to them
- Tips for using specific target language vocabulary and grammar structures in personalized and interactive ways
- Innovative ways for students to meaningfully interact with various aspects of the target culture
- Motivating uses of technology that students will love
- Creative projects that are fast to produce and enhance the target language learning of all students
- Strategies for designing and implementing performance-based assessments
- Activities for students at all levels of language proficiency
- A wealth of strategies for using the target language in ways that reinforce the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As we embrace the recommendation of the ACTFL Position Paper to use the target language 90% of the time in our classrooms, we need effective practices to make this work. In this interactive seminar, we will look at practical ways to accelerate our students’ use of the target language in meaningful, engaging, yet realistic ways. We will consider what hinders our students from using the target language along with practical strategies to help them overcome these obstacles. I will share with you ways to develop and maintain a classroom environment that nurtures the use of the target language and engages students as active participants in the learning process.
The ideas in the seminar are based on the practices that support maximum use of target language, understanding the millennial learner, student motivation, and exciting applications of technology. We will experience activities that promote our students’ proficiency in the vocabulary, grammatical structures and culture of our courses. It will be great fun to look at creative ways to connect our students’ interests to our course topics. We want to make the new language be for them and about them.
We will have a wonderful day of sharing ideas to support our students in the successful use of their new language. I promise that it will be a motivating learning experience and that you will leave with many ideas to use right away. I look forward to meeting you at the seminar.
P.S. Again, this seminar is not about theory but instead will focus on practical ideas that, I know from my years in the classroom, will work for today’s students.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators serving Middle Schools and High Schools.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbookspecifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Descriptions of all activities presented in the seminar, with variations for all levels of instruction
- Sample applications of the strategies presented at the seminar
- Reproducible activities
- Specific techniques to increase student engagement
- Ready-to-use ideas to maximize student use of the target language
Meet and Share
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity to meet and share ideas with other world language educators interested in strengthening their students’ use of the target language.
Jan Herrera will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your world language program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.